- Avoid rowdy gatherings and political demonstrations, which can quickly escalate into crushing stampedes or violent confrontations
- Beware of overloaded boats, bridges, viewing platforms and stadium stands, especially in underdeveloped countries
- Decline offers for unofficial guided bus or taxi tours to out of the way places as they could be a set-up for robbery
- On tour buses, sit away from the doors to gain extra time if thieves should rush onboard
- In some areas, robbers have also been known to smash windows when vehicles are stopped at red lights. Keep purses and totebags on the floor, not the window seat
- Dress inconspicuously, especially where local customs mandate modest dress
- Don’t stand on the street to examine maps or guide books – step into a store
- If trapped in a hotel room due to political or security issues, close the curtains and stay away from the window. Speak quietly into the phone or send text messages from a cell phone
As flight crews know, taking extra precautions does not translate into paranoia. The old adage “better safe than sorry,” is especially valid when travelling.
© 2012 – 2015, My Flying Fingers. All rights reserved.